SHE’S FROM US AND SHE’S FOR US!
Barbara is a lifelong resident of Metro-Council District 12. She knows our neighborhoods, our families, and our concerns and hopes.
Barbara attended EBR public schools; graduated from Lee High School; and earned her B.A. in Education from Louisiana Tech University and her M.A. in English from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
After graduation, Barbara came back home and has taught in the classrooms of our community for the last 43 years at Glen Oaks High School, Lee High School, and the LSU Lab School. She has also served as Education Administrator for the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, Coordinator at Advance Innovative Education, and was a Program Manager of the Baton Rouge Transition to Teaching Program at the LSU Gordon Cain Center. Barbara is also a MetroMorphosis/Urban Congress Delegate — an organization dedicated to developing and mobilizing a critical mass of engaged citizens to design and implement sustainable solutions to persistent community challenges..
Barbara Reich Freiberg and her husband, Mickey, have been married for 43 years. They are the parents of two grown children and are the proud grandparents of one grandchild. She is a member of the University Methodist Church and has been involved in numerous civic endeavors.
In 2016, Barbara was honored by the Baton Rouge Business Report and named as a “Influential Women in Business” recipient.
- University United Methodist Church
- LSU Ogden Honors College Advisory Council
- Women In Management — Former President
- Kids' Hope – Substitute Mentor
- BREC Golf and Tennis Advisory Council
- Academic Distinction Foundation (ADF) — Program Advisory Board
- Foundation for East Baton Rouge Schools
- Better Baton Rouge Education Committee
- Louisiana School Boards Association
- Rotary Club of Baton Rouge
- Baton Rouge Business Report "Influential Woman in Business" (2016)
- Baton Rouge Children’s Coalition – After School Advisory Committee
- iCare Advisory Board
- Urban Congress Delegate
- Project Transformation Committee
- Volunteer Activist Award - Rouge Speech and Hearing (2013)
- Baton Rouge Area Chamber Canvas participant
- Member of planning team for EBR Career/Tech school at Ardendale
- East Baton Rouge School Board - President
- Louisiana Council of Teachers of English (LCTE) former State President
- LSU College of Education — Outstanding Teacher Award
- Business Week’s Award for Innovative Teaching
- National Council of Teachers of English/International Reading Association, Standards Writing Committee
- Louisiana Representative to the Interstate New Teacher Assessment, Support Consortium (INTASC) Performance Assessment Project
- Louisiana State Department of Education, Language Arts Assessment, Frameworks Team
- Louisiana State Department of Education, Content Standards Drafting Team